Re: Cost is higher but query is much faster

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_oracle.com>
Date: 28 Mar 2002 17:49:46 -0800

In article <1017298646.10137.1.nnrp-13.9e984b29_at_news.demon.co.uk>, "Jonathan says...

>It's another one for Rob Freeman to add
>to his "Favourite Urban Legends".

sounds like something to add to the FAQ ;) an "it's a myth -- REALLY" page.

I just had to talk about three of them this very morning:

o the most discriminating fields belong first in all indexes

o tables should have very very very few extents, one extent being the BEST

o index and data MUST be in separate tablespaces (mind you now, NOT different devices -- just different tablespaces, never mind we only have 1 mount point and it's a raid-5 "device" that consists of tons of real disk). Everyone knows that.