Re: Oracle OleDB, Database Links and ADO

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 18:54:49 +0100

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 10:24:21 -0700, "Mike" <okana!!nofuckingsp|am!!~@!!nofuckingsplam!!~voidnet.com> wrote:

>I have an issue and I hope someone has an answer or a fix.
>
>Database is Oracle 8.0.5 - there is a database link with a synonym to a
>remote table.
>
>Queries against the remote table work fine in SQLPlus and using ADO in VB6
>with the MS MDAC default Oracle provider.
>
>BUT - we have PCs for parts of our operations that have the Oracle 8.1.7
>OleDB installed (it is required for other pieces of software) If I do a
>query using SQLPlus on an 8.1.7 client, no problem. But if I try a query
>using ADO in VB6 and the Oracle OleDB as the provider - it does not work. I
>get the following error:
>
>"ORA-02041: client database did not begin a transaction"
>
>Other queries are fine, just those using the remote table as a source
>
>Is there a fix, work-around, a setting in the ADO command or connection
>object to fix it?? I cannot use the MDAC Oracle provider once the Oracle
>OleDB has been installed, it will not work at all. (At least not that I have
>been able to get it to.)
>
>For now, I have the table replicated in the alternate instance - but I'd
>rather not deal with having the data duplication and daily loads (the data
>for this table is refreshed daily from an outside source.)
>
>If you are going to reply via email please remove the extra characters used
>to limit spam. (com, okana and voidnet are valid)
>
>Mike

The fix is to upgrade the desupported 8.0.5 database to 8.1.7

Oracle is downwards compatible, not upwards. Having a higher version client access a lower version database is not guaranteed to work. The other way around always works.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Thu Mar 28 2002 - 11:54:49 CST