Re: free IT training, expert opinions needed

From: Kyle <kyle_at_gadgets.co.nz.nospam>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 18:02:29 +1200

It's a good a start as any. I feel that if you come out with an OCP after having no previous, then you would still have a big headache administering a database. In your down time though a certification would be a good foot in the door, so long as you target the junior positions (no disrespect). The other thing a company sees is "OCP, cool - I don't have to pay for the training."

When you see adverts in the paper - well in this part of the world anyways, you see "Wanted: Computer Boffin, must have OCP, MSCE, ABC". This says two things - either they are selling you on based on this or it is an H.R. department advertising who knows bugger all and is now floating out letters - Much like the heavyweight boxing division.

Bottom line - it will not hurt you to do this, but don't expect miracles after coming out with an OCP. I remember when the old Novell CNEs were just coming out. Man, you could write your own pay cheque!!! Having interviewed hundreds of people and putting each one through a practical test I have found that experience speaks for itself. Get yourself, 8i install it and tinker!

I class myself as an M.C.P. on my resume (A Magazine Certified Technician). People ask..... gets a laugh.

All the best for your future,
Kyle