Re: How do you become a programmer? Please read!!

From: Ed prochak <ed.prochak_at_alltel.com>
Date: 27 Mar 2002 09:45:32 -0800

As other posters have told you, Community college clesses may be a great place to start. Training schools can be good, but you have to pick them very carefully. Keep in mind thatin both Community colleges and trade schools, particular classes, and more importantly particular instructors, can be above or below average. It's just that your odds are better with the colleges.

(I've taught in both community college and in training schools. I like to think that I gave good value for the money in both cases. I've also taken good classes in both. I've also had a terrible instructor in more than one college class and know of below par instructors in a few training schools.)

You may have a good situation to start with. Take the ideas and skills you learn in the classes and try to apply them in your current business. While it may look a little like "I did this at home" on your resume, it will give you some practical experience. And when you get to the point where you do have a chance to interview for a job, you can use this to show that you are a self starter.

Take a beginning programming class. consider your future plans after that.

Good Luck

--
Edward J. Prochak   --- Magic Interface, Ltd.
Office: 440-498-3700