Re: MSDAORA and Oracle 8.1.7 - problems establishing connection

From: TurkBear <jgreco1_at_mn.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 11:40:40 -0600

matt.mcdonnell.90_at_bc.edu (Matt Man) wrote:

>I am running the 8.1.7 Client from an NT box trying to connect to an
>8.1.7 Server running on Win2K.
>
>Net8 Assistant has no problems connecting to the database and with
>some troubleshooting, the Oracle ODBC driver works fine, while the MS
>ODBC driver for Oracle however will not... is there a related issue
>here?
>
>I've been pouring over the archived newsgroups for the past 24 hours
>and still cannot find a solution to my problem. I have put in the
>TRS_ADMIN registry key, I've double and triple checked my tnsnames.ora
>file and I've even added the service name to my local hosts file
>(although I'm confident that this doesn't change anything anyway)

I'm assuming you meant to type TNS_ADMIN

>There's a chance I might solve this by using OraOLEDB.Oracle
>instead... but I wonder if there isn't a simpler solution. Switching
>to OraOLEDB.Oracle now would blow-up my testing efforts.
>
>Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
>
>Matt Man

I use the MSDAORA Provider for my asp pages and have had no problems connecting to a variety of Oracle versions..

The code I use in my pages is:
<%
Dim objDC, objRS
' Create and establish data connection
Set objDC = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") objDC.ConnectionTimeout = 15
objDC.CommandTimeout = 30

'Code to connect to Oracle Warehouse
 objDC.Open "Provider=MSDAORA.1;Password=secret;User ID=nosy;Data Source=whs1;Persist Security Info=TRUE"

SqlStrEmp = "Select distinct empl_nm,empl_nbr empnbr from warehouse.hr_public order by empl_nm" Set RS1 = objDC.Execute(SqlStrEmp)
%>

where whs1 is the tnsnames.ora entry

Works fine..

What are you using to test your setup?