How do you become a programmer? Please read!!

From: shawn gregory <sgregor6_at_tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 17:37:23 GMT

Im very interested in programming, but have no real background or knowledge other than what I have learned on my own, not much yet. I ve posted one other time here about my interest in learning to be an Oracle developer and recieved good advice on being carefull with the tech " school" certification route as a way to get the education. Im convinced of my desire to do this, but unsure as to the best way to go about it. Im doing this backwards, as I am 34 and have had my own business since getting out of high school. Ive always liked being in charge of my time and carreer, and I probably would like to do the same with programming at some point. But, besides being proffitable, I really have this bug that I just have to figure this programming stuff out, even though I am not sure if I can. Given the fact that I want to be a programmer, probably in the area of database design, what would be the best route to get the training, ( Real knowledge ), and the experience for me to pursue this, with possibly freelancing as an end goal? College, tech school, online learning, etc. Does my age matter in the real world as far as starting now? Do I have to be Spock to do this? Any particular area of programming financially or creatively better? Were you as overwhelmed when you first started looking at code as I am? How long did it take you to GET IT?  I would love to hear from everyone who has an opinion. I thank you. Shawn Received on Tue Mar 26 2002 - 11:37:23 CST