Re: foreign key references on view

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 14:51:42 +0100

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 14:20:21 +0100, zorg <czorman_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote:

>this a simple of the problem
>i've two table which share the same key "numcom"
>

>CREATE individual(
> numcom NUMBER(4) primary key,
> name VARCHAR(30),
> );
>

>CREATE group(
> numcom NUMBER(4) primary key,
> responsable VARCHAR(30),
> );
>

>i've another table (like reservation) which has got a foreign key that
>should be the union of the field numcom
>
>1/ should i create a view like
>create view allkey
>select numcon from individual
>union
>select numcon from group(
>
>and
>add constraint like
> foreign key (the_other_table) references allkey(numcon)
>don't know if it work and if it's the best way to do it
>
>hope the problem is clear
>
>thank

Foreign keys to views are NOT possible.
A more or less straightforward solution looks like merge the two tables into one, adding an extra column, which will contain a switch indicating which type of record you have. Define views referring to the value of the switch for each subtype you have in your table.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue Mar 26 2002 - 07:51:42 CST