Grouping by time intervals

From: Kenneth C Stahl <ktsahl_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 11:44:53 GMT

I have a table with a bunch of rows that all have date fields. I would like to be able to do an extract where I can summarize some values by pre-defined time periods. The time periods that I am particular looking for are 10,15,30 and 60 but the time interval could also be multiples of

hours like ever 2 hours, every 8 hours, etc.. Thus, if I summarized by 15 minutes, my times would look like:

03/21/2002 09:00 <count>
03/21/2002 09:15 <count>
03/21/2002 09:30 <count>
03/21/2002 09:45 <count>

.
.
.

etc.

and if I sent for two hour intervals it would look like

03/21/2002 0900 <count>
03/21/2002 1100 <count>
03/21/2002 1300 <count>
03/21/2002 1500 <count>

.
.
.

etc.

Is there any good, elegant way of doing this that is easy to modify whenever I want to change the time interval and can be expressed as a single algorithm regardless of whether I want intervals within hours or multiples of hours?

Ultimately the query will be in a stored procedure and I'll pass the time interval in as a parameter expressed in minutes. So, the value could be anything from 1 to 1440

TIA Received on Sat Mar 23 2002 - 05:44:53 CST