Re: Oracle C++ Call Interface (OCCI)

From: Tomasz Romanowski <tromanow_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 23 Mar 2002 11:13:05 -0800

We are using OCI for one of our high-performant batch processing servers.
The original reason behind using OCI was a belief it would give us a better performance than implementing array operations using PROC. This was probably a mietaken belief since PROC is nothing but a facade and we are planning to phase it out actually. We atarted out a couple of years ago with Oracle 7 and we had to do relatively little modifications while upgrading to 8 and none at all having recently upgraded to 9i.
Practice says it's quite backward compatible but Oracle does not guarantee anything. Also, Oracle may replace old OCI calls with new ones that peform better, and that the new PROC compiler will automatically map to. This is even worse than "hard" incompatibility since your application will compile and run just fine but without taking advantage of new performance improvements.