Re: 8.1.7 Installation problem

From: Alan <alanshein_at_erols.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 15:31:16 -0500

There is a known P4 bug. If you have access to metaLink, you can search there. There are several workarounds listed, but we found only workaround #1 worked:

Workaround 1:

  1. Obtain the OUI application (~17.5MBs) under patch number 1507768 in Metalink:
  2. Click Patches button
  3. Enter 1507768 in the Patch Number field
  4. Click Submit
  5. Download the patch
  6. Unzip the patch.
  7. Unzip the contents to a directory (~20MBs).
  8. Navigate to:

\cd\Disk1\stage\Components\oracle.swd.jre\1.1.7.30\1\DataFiles\Expanded\jre\ win32\bin\symcjit.dll

        Rename symcjit.dll to symcjit.dll.old

     5. Invoke the OUI executable from the following directory, and install the

        OUI to your hard disk:

         cd .\cd\Disk1\install\win32\setup.exe6.

        Use/Invoke this installed OUI from Start menu > Programs, to install
        Oracle 8.1.x and related products.

Workaround 2:
     1. Create a temporary directory on your server.

     2. Copy the entire contents of the Oracle RDBMS Server CD
        to the temporary directory created in step 1.

     3. Search the directory structure created in Step 1 for the existence
of
        the filename symcjit.dll.

     4. Rename each copy of the symcjit.dll to symcjit.old.

     5. Run the setup.exe from the \install\win32 directory and install
Oracle
        8.1.x and related products.

Workaround 3:
If you continue to experience any of the symptoms after performing either of the workarounds above, follow these steps:

  1. Copy the contents of the \install directory to a temporary directory on your harddisk.
  2. Search for all copies of the 'symcjit.dll' file, and rename them to symcjit.old'.
  3. Go to the \install directory and open the 'oraparam.ini' file for editing. Please note this file is write-protected.
  4. Change the JRE_MEMORY_OPTIONS parameter to

             JRE_MEMORY_OPTIONS=-nojit -ms16m -mx32m

     5. Save the oraparam.ini file.

     6. Start the installation again.