Re: Okay- I give up - what on earth is a "hash" ?

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 17:38:04 +0300

More than that, a really good hash function would produce unique reproducible output for each distinct input. Such hash functions are referred to as cryptographically strong and are used for message authentication. The idea is that being applied over a message, the function produces unique hash value which can be verified by receiver by applying the same function and comparing the hash value. Simpler hash functions are usually used for fast node grouping and search. As far as I understood, the hash join works by creating a table of hash values for one table and then filtering columns from the second table by throwing away columns whose hash is not in hash table and quickly finding the join target row otherwise.