MD5/DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT - doco and 32 bit hashes

From: Richard Shea <richardshea_at_fastmail.fm>
Date: 21 Mar 2002 18:52:13 -0800

Hi - I'm using Oracle 8.1.6 and 8.1.7 on a W2K platform.

I read in this newsgroup a mention of the DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT but I wondered if someone could answer a question about it.

First off I read that it is capable of creating MD5 digests but the only doco I can find (on the Oracle site relating to 9i) doesn't mention that. Is this something I should try to use or is it not likely to stick around ? Is there anywhere where the MD5 is documented ?

Secondly I have an implementation of the MD5 algorithm in VBScript/ASP which outputs a 32 bit hash. Ideally I would like to create MD5 digests in VBS and compare them with ones on a table produced by the DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT. Trouble is what little I have read suggests that the DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT MD5 outputs a 16 bit string. Is this completely true or can you request the output size ?

One last thing. I don't know much about how MD5 works so if some of the above is a bit silly - that's why ;-)

Thanks

Richard Shea. Received on Thu Mar 21 2002 - 20:52:13 CST