Table locking problem

From: Eric Bowman <Doc435_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 21:01:26 -0500

I have a legacy client application running on OS\2 workstations (oracle client version 7.2.2.1) running against a 8.1.7.3 database on an WIN2000 server that has recently begun to show some strange behavior. Our application is hanging because of a table locking issue. Our app is inserting a row into table a, and then issuing a 'COMMIT' and it is getting lost (poor description but until trace analysis is complete it's best that I have) the transaction doesn't complete, and a new one begins. this transaction does whatever, and the user goes on untill an attempt is made to access table a and then the app hangs. Of course as the other users try to access table a they too hang. end everyone stays hung untill the first user closes the app and all the outer and inner transactions that they had are rolled back. We are changing the application code to issue a 'COMMIT' if our transaction counter exceeds 1, and this should keep transactions from getting lost. Even with the fix we are putting in place the locked table causes other users to hang untill the first users accessing a given table ends the transaction. Fortunatly we have a low concurrency 2-3% and most transactions complete in less than a minute. What I don't understand is why an insert is locking the whole table. This is our actual problem, the nesting trasactions has probably been occuring for a while but happens infrequently enough so that the users have not noticed, and the fix has probably been needed. But with the table locking causing users to hang we have a serious problem.
-Eric Bowman-
Sr. Technical Analyst Received on Wed Mar 20 2002 - 20:01:26 CST