Re: A little advice for a begginer please..

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rkg100_at_erols.com>
Date: 19 Mar 2002 13:29:57 -0800

Ive posted this before. My answer is no. Those companies are out to steal people's money. Yes there are people in this business without college degrees, but they got in a while ago. The number of people hiring entry level people with college degrees is incredibly small, especially in this economy. Far less than all the people being pumped out from these classes. You will be the same as they are without a college degree....

Most of these classes are a scam. Sounds like that company is offering some kind of DBA certification? There is no such thing as an entry level DBA. Ok maybe there are 5-10 jobs nation wide for entry level DBAs a year. Nearly all DBAs have 2-4 years as an Oracle developer first. So if the school is offering DBA training and saying you will get a job. Hang up the phone. Certifications are not that useful either in this business.

Its easy to test this. Take your current resume. Add some Oracle training to it. Say you know the following on the resume...

SQL
PL/SQL
Forms 6i
Reports 6i
Database Administration

Put down that you passed your "OCP" Its Oracle Certified Professional.

Write up a paragraph about the class. Just take an excert from there advertising. Put it at the front. The only responses you will get will be from recruiters who do not know how to read a resume. Do this for 2 months. Put it on the web.... If you want dont use your real name.

Keep in mind that the economy is awful. There are people coming out of college with computer science degrees having trouble getting a job. If they are having trouble, how hard will it be for you?

Gotta write this stuff. These "training" places are stealing people's money.

Yeah getting a degree in your situation is not possible. It would take you 7-10 years around work. Dont know what to tell you. Just dont let those companies take your money.

I just checked out techskills.com.. is that them? Its a joke.. there "mentors" are sales people. They always are... they know a little bit about the technical side and can talk well.. so they can make you think they know what they are talking about. This the one that wants to charge you $6k? Waste of money.

Do you have a community college near you? Look at taking classes there. Take the classes that are part of the curriculum.. the continuing education ones are usually not state sponsored. The one in Northern Virginia is like $200 a class. They may make you take math first which depending on where you are at in math may take a while... but atleast its cheap.