Upgrading OLE DB from 8.1.6 to 8.1.7.2.0

From: Alessandro Nazzani <alexnsb_at_tin.it>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 12:15:23 +0100

Hi all.

I need to upgrade Oracle OLE DB Provider on our WinNT 4.0 WebServer running Oracle EE 8.1.6.

I downloaded the file
http://download.oracle.com/otn/other/ole-oo4o/OraOLEDB_81720.exe and tried the installation on a test machine (same OS and db as WebServer).

After the installation (I selected all three options: OLE DB 8.1.7.2.0, Net8 Client 8.1.7.0.0 and Oracle Services for Microsoft Transaction Server 8.1.7.0.0), when I tried to restart the OracleOraHome81TNSListener service, it couldn't find the file orannms8.dll. In fact it wasn't there: I copied it from our WebServer and was able to start the service.

Then I tried to start the OracleServiceXXX Service: this time ORACLE.EXE complains that "The procedure entry point kpcddtasg could not be located in the dynamic link library oracommon8.dll". As you may suspect, replacing the oracommon8.dll with the same file installed on the WebServer doesn't help.

Now I'm by no means an Oracle expert, and I don't consider myself a MS fan, but I don't think this is normal.
I'm sure Oracle programmers can deliver top quality packages (not only db, but also installers, wizards and all the fancy stuff that comes with Windows) but I often suspect that Windows users are considered "second class", if I may say so.
No offense intended here, but sometimes all that is so frustrating...

Back to the subject, I need to upgrade our WebServer as we want to store/view BLOB objects in the db via ASP pages. So far we have been forced to use MS driver because using Oracle OLE DB provider causes a random ASP0115 error with IIS (and the server must be rebooted), but MS driver doesn't support BLOBs. I've heard that the new version has been greatly improved, so maybe our problem can be solved simply upgrading the component.

Can you help?

Alessandro Received on Mon Mar 18 2002 - 05:15:23 CST