Re: Oracle 8i performance problem

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 17:35:12 +0000 (UTC)

Do you have a DBA?

The immediate answers to your questions are

  1. when oracle switches from using one redo log file (group) to another.
  2. in the directory specified by the parameter 'background_dump_dest' for your instance. you can find this by issuing the command show parameter dest; in sqlplus. It contains all oracle server critical messages and should therefore be checked regularly (at least daily).

However the reason for asking abut the DBA or not is that your question suggest that you are somewhat in the dark as to how Oracle functions. This is quite a good way to get oracle to perform shall we say sub-optimally. If you don't have a DBA or people with oracle experience on site you could do a lot worse than to get a reputable consultant in to look at your setup, troubleshoot the particular problem that you have and to recommend various changes. Then you can hire a DBA. If no-one is checking the alert log then I'd suggest it is almost a racing certainty that you'll have trouble with your backup and recovery plans as well.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA