Re: view create table statements

From: Sean M <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 04:19:01 GMT

Mark Cudworth wrote:

> I don't see how. Using an existing program (originally written to be used
> against Oracle 7.3.4) seems a lot easier than installing a new version of
> the DBMS. :-)

Ahem. ;)

> Besides, the program I wrote will actually do more than just
> dump DDL for the create table. It will also dump statements to reproduce
> the grants, comments and optionally, even insert statements for the data
> rows. (Not suitable for large tables!) I got the idea for this years ago
> when using mySQL, which is what the original poster mentioned.

DBMS_METADATA does more than what I mentioned too. Generates XML, transforms the metadata to XSL-T, etc. I haven't done much with it, but I wouldn't think it hard to get the grants, comments, etc., too. Plus it's regular ol' PL/SQL, with all the normal bennies.

> It is nice that some of this functionality is being added to the DBMS
> itself, though. Do you have to be sysdba to see the DBMS_METADATA? That
> would be a drawback to this method.

No, you just need execute privs on the package.

Anyway, figured it was at least worth a mention.

Regards,
Sean Received on Fri Mar 15 2002 - 22:19:01 CST