Re: Can Cursors be combined?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 09:35:11 +0100

On 15 Mar 2002 00:09:45 -0800, joker_5166_at_yahoo.com (Chris Smith) wrote:

>damorgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3C90D58F.B70AC3E6_at_exesolutions.com>...
>> Not that I can think of. But then again I can't think of any reason to
>> ask the question you are asking. How long does it take to cut and paste
>> the two pieces of code together?
>
>a) avoiding code duplication in order to increase maintainability and
>error-proofness of my PL/SQL code.
>b) making maximal use of the cursors already loaded from DB.
>c) hiding the implementation of the sub-queries (this argument might
>be a little bit academic).
>

>> And aren't you planning on using EXPLAIN PLAN to see what you are doing?
>
>You are right, working with cursors in this way might result in
>suboptimal SQL code. Nevertheless, if the two cursors are already
>loaded from DB, it seems to me the best strategie to paste their
>results together (instead of pasting SQL code).
If you want to make 'maximal use' whatever that is, why don't just load all of your cursors in a generic pl/sql table?

Resolves the issue completely.
Whether or not you are creating a 3GL non-transactional interface to a 4GL transactional environment remains open to debate.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri Mar 15 2002 - 02:35:11 CST