oradim -inst (ok) -srvc (why)

From: Rene Nyffenegger <rene.nyffenegger_at_gmx.ch>
Date: 13 Mar 2002 23:45:35 GMT

Hello

Here's my problem with oradim.

Oracle's doc for 8i reads

To create an instance...
Use this syntax:

 ORADIM -NEW -SID SID | -SRVC SERVICE_NAME [-INTPWD INTERNAL_PWD] - SHUTTYPE SRVC | INST | SRVC, INST This makes sense to me. I create an instance, named SID, represented in windows as a service, named SERVICE_NAME

However, the following doesn't make sense to me:

To start an instance...
Use this syntax:
 ORADIM -STARTUP -SID SID [-USRPWD USER_PWD] [-STARTTYPE SRVC | INST | SRVC, INST] [-PFILE FILENAME] particularly, it's the "-STARTTYPE SRVC, INST" that does confuse me.

The doc goes on and explains:'Indicates whether to start the service or the instance. One or both values can be specified. If not specified, the registry is checked for the current setting. '.

My understanding is: An instance is implemented as a windows service, hence if I start the instance, the according service is started. SRVC seems superfluos.

I was considering that SRVC probably means the database, but then again, the database is just files to be manipulated by the instance, nothing that could be started, isn't it?

If someone could give me a litte insight on that, I'd be thankful.

Rene

--
Recherchen im schweizerischen Handelsregister:
http://www.adp-gmbh.ch/SwissCompanies/Search.php3