Re: What database shall I use???

From: David W. Fenton <dXXXfenton_at_bway.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 01:33:28 GMT

x_at_y.z ((Pete Cresswell)) wrote in
<akoq8ug4646hotghl8gek0vhtvece1d683_at_4ax.com>:

>My experience is that companies beyond a certain size for quite
>logical and defensible reasons, exercise a great deal more control
>over things like LAN security, which development tools are used,
>and how those tools are used.
>
>In outfits that size, bringing me in is basically a department
>-level user going against IS's desires because they feel that they
>need an app up and running a long time before IS can deliver.
>
>IS, then, regards developers like me as something akin to lice:
>something that, unfortunately, is there but which needs to be
>exterminated and/or prevented whenever possible.

I would simply refuse to work for such organizations.

If I'm being brought in without the approval of management, it can never be anything but a terrible headache. And when something goes wrong, I'll get blamed, even if the IT dept. is to blame (by not doing something to fix the infrastructure).

Nope, I don't need work so badly that I'd take any such jobs.

Small businesses are really the only place all-Access apps belong, I think.

dfenton at bway dot net                http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc