Re: What database shall I use???

From: David W. Fenton <dXXXfenton_at_bway.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 21:09:34 GMT

damorgan_at_exesolutions.com (damorgan) wrote in <3C8E233B.65E14CC3_at_exesolutions.com>:

>"David W. Fenton" wrote:
>
>> corey.lawson_at_worldnet.att.com (corey lawson) wrote in
>> <3c8c2550.31870118_at_netnews.att.net>:
>>
>> >If you're only doing read-only access to Access [sic], then
>> >Access isn't too bad, even for large MDB files. It starts
>> >bogging down hard when your MDB size gets over ~20MB or so and
>>
>> You're simply WRONG.
>>
>> Wrong.
>>
>> You obviously don't know how to design a properly functioning
>> multi -user Access database.
>>
>> I have a client with a 375MB Access database (3 tables have over
>> 300K records in them) with 5-10 simultaneous read/write users.
>> Performance is just fine, there is no corruption and there are
>> no concurrency problems.
>
>I've had great luck with a rolodex too. I once had a rolodex where
>more than one person could simultaneously read/write cards.
>Performance was just fine and there was no corruption or
>concurrency problems.
>
>Perhaps your definition of "acceptable" is light years from mine.

Perhaps you don't have a clue about choosing appropriate tools for the tasks at hand.

The statement about 5 users and 20MBs is simply wrong. Only an incompetent application developer will have problems in that environment.

You may choose to blame the tool, but when other people manage quite easily to successfully and reliably use that tool in more demanding environments, it is unlikely that the problem is with the tool, but with the user of the tool.

dfenton at bway dot net                http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc