Re: Differences Between Oracle and SQL Server

From: Justin Wigg <justin_at_icsmultimedia.com.au>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 18:12:05 +1100

"Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com> wrote in message news:5Afj8.20516$702.12067_at_sccrnsc02...
> What's your goal?
> You could search this ng and comp.databases.oracle.server - lots of info.
> Which level of sql 92 standard?
> What do you need to do? (I know you need a database, but besides that what
> requirements do you have?)

OK - the company I work for are developing a three-tier architecture system which is using a proprietary middleware language they developed. The database queries stored in the middleware layer are Oracle specific and something I have tasked myself with is finding out who to rewrite these queries for a SQL Server platform.

Things like (as I mentioned in my first post) how do I do a left outer join in SQL Server? Does SQL Server have anything that even closely resembles Oracle's DECODE function? What is the concatenation operator in SQL Server? An on-line ready-reckoner style reference containing all this stuff is what I'm after.

Hope that makes some more sense...

--
"Managing senior programmers is  | Justin Wigg   -   Hobart, AUSTRALIA
like herding cats." - Dave Platt | Reply:  justin_at_icsmultimedia.com.au