Re: What database shall I use???

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 22:10:03 +0000 (UTC)

"corey lawson" <corey.lawson_at_worldnet.att.com> wrote in message news:3c8c279a.32456773_at_netnews.att.net...
> Well, ODBC (and ADO to a lesser extent) is so focused to Microsoft SQL
> Server & Jet...
>
> MS' only obligation to having MSDAORA is to satisfy people who "have"
> to use Oracle, and can't (or won't) 'choose' SQL Server.
>
> Oracle should have the reference OleDB and ODBC drivers, not Merant,
> Microsoft or anybody else. That's just a bad move on Oracle's part,
> imho.

They do however have oledb and odbc drivers. the current ones perform well and support the database better than msdaora. moreover they have oo4o which is an alternative database access technology tuned for oracle on the windows platform. it also performs well. Bottom line is Oracle provide good connectivity solutions for windows developers using both MS and Oracle proprietory API's. They also provide pretty good JDBC drivers. The original suggestion that Oracle lock people in to Oracle solutions by providing poor MS compatible interfaces is just wrong.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA