Re: pl/sql - os interaction

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_oracle.com>
Date: 11 Mar 2002 12:54:28 -0800

In article <36832922.0203111015.2ffd77fa_at_posting.google.com>, ninetyplus_at_aol.com says...

>All,
>
>Does anyone know how to call a simple shell script from within PL/SQL.
> I am trying to create a trigger failure notification. I planned on
>using the inherent email ability of unix in a shell script combined
>with simple exception logic. I didn't know, that you can't call this
>script from within the PL/SQL code. I can't use Java, because of the
>Oracle version (8.0.5 means no jserver). Is there a simple way to do
>this? Help.
>
>Thanks.

If you have a webserver and a cgi-bin/whatever that can send mail - you can do this.

suppose the following html form worked:

<form action=http://server/cgi-bin/do_email>
<input type=text name=to>
<input type=text name=from>
<input type=text name=subj>
<input type=text name=body>
<input type=submit>
</form>

then:

utl_http.request(
'http://server/cgi-bin/do_email?to=x@y&from=a@b&subj=Hello&body=message+here' );

will run it as well. If you don't want a general purpose "web service to send email", run a webserver on ip address 127.0.0.1 on the server an only the database server will be able to run the URL.