Re: generic connectivity: ORA-12541

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 19:06:33 +0100

On 8 Mar 2002 06:13:03 -0800, pabbathi_at_yahoo.com (Srinivas) wrote:

>Ok...now the "TNSping Entry1 " says OK.
>
>Then, I created database link as -
>
>create database link entry1 connect to sa identified by password using
>'entry1'
>
>Note that the 'entry1' matches with the tnsnames.
>sid in tnsnames matches with listener sid which matches with
>init'sid'.ora file name in oracle_home\hs\admin.
>initentry1.ora has entry for dsn called entry1 which has default
>database as DBName
>
>But, when I query - select * from tablename_at_Entry1
>
>or
>
>select * from tablename_at_Entry1.dbname
>
>I get the error 12514 "TNS could not resolve service name in the
>connect descriptor"
>
>Where is the error? I am baffled.
>
>srinivas

Service names for database links are resolved using the tnsnames.ora on the server, as database links access is fully handled between database servers.
You probably updated the tnsnames.ora on the client.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri Mar 08 2002 - 12:06:33 CST