Re: What database shall I use???

From: Larry Linson <larry.linson_at_ntpcug.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 20:42:46 GMT

Perhaps it is the Oracle ODBC driver you are using that is the problem; or, perhaps Jet has some problems with Oracle DBs that it doesn't with others. I've been successfully using Access as a client to various server databases, including MS and Sybase SQL Server, Informix, and Sybase SQL Anywhere, since 1994, without the problems you describe.

Dropped connections sounds like a network problem to me... I've worked in some shops with flakey networks where that was a problem. I think it is unlikely to be an _Access_ or an _Oracle_ problem.

If your VB app uses Jet and ODBC, rather than one of the "OCBC wrapper" methods that VB has had over the years, then I just can't suggest what the problem is. There's certainly no inherent problem with using Access as an ODBC client. As far back as Access 2.0, we supported over 150 users with an Access client to Informix, with acceptable performance and good reliability.

"Glen A Stromquist" <gstromquist_at_nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message news:ctth8.80610$Ym3.13883705_at_news0.telusplanet.net...
> > This is just a guess from somebody with extremely limited experience,
> > but could the method of accessing (no pun intended...) the Oracle DB
> > be a problem?
> >
> > Sounds like you're going after it with DAO/Jet/ODBC.
> >
> > The successful Access-front-end/Client-Server back end apps I'm
> > familiar with (but haven't written) all use ADO hooked in through the
> > DB vendor's "Data Provider". Given that scenario, it doesn't seem
> > like it would be any diff between Access and VB.
> > Pete Cresswell
>
> You may be right Pete, I dont think an Access "front end" should really be
> any different than one written in pure VB, but thats just been my
> experience. I administer about 6 oracle databases and 3 sql server. The
> one's with VB or Powerbuilder front ends are virtually trouble free, I
NEVER