Oracle 8i (8.1.7) Client install on Windows 2000 Professional Fails with NO message?

From: Bob <Whitaker_at_ipact.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 07:30:32 -0600

I have recently received a new machine at work, and, trying to set it up like my old one, am attempting to install Oracle 8.1.7 client tools in order to access Oracle DBs on a couple of our servers. On my old machine, WinNT 4.0(SP6), I had no problems installing. On the new machine, which has nothing installed on it other than the software that came with it (Office 2000 Professional, Norton Antivirus), I put in the CD, the Autorun brings up a window with the 'Install/Deinstall Products' button, which I click on, then, if I have the task manager up, I can see that jrew.exe starts and Setup.exe goes away, but then shortly thereafter, the jrew.exe process goes away as well. I have search the hard drive looking for a log file that might indicate what the problem is, but have not found one.

New system parameters: Intel P4-1.8GHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HD, Windows 2000 Professional.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.....

                    Bob