Re: What database shall I use???

From: Albert D. Kallal <kallal_at_msn.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 04:47:01 GMT

My point referring to scalability was when you use a ADP project. This is a native connection to the server (you have no local tables). Since a adp project uses the EXACT same technology that C++, VB, ASP and virtually any other system that ms is selling to access the server, there will be no difference in performance and scalability when using Access in this manor. (NONE...as it is the same code!).

Any issues of mission critical in this case will be blamed on the server....as in this case JET is not used.

In general, most cases you can get away and use JET via ODBC to connect to a server. This is good up to the 100's of users (and this is what most of use do with Access when using a it with a server). However, a ADP project does NOT involve jet, and as mentioned is the same technology that everything else MS is selling (save ado.net for another day).

Probably the only complaint about using a ADP project in Access is that we don't have any local tables anymore! When Access is used this way, it is a true client to sql-server.

--
Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada