Re: You dont need Oracle

From: Larry Linson <larry.linson_at_ntpcug.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 01:03:14 GMT

Just today, I was reading a comparative review of enterprise databases. They listed IBM's DB2 and Microsoft's SQL Server at $20,000 per cpu; Oracle at $40,000 per cpu -- all as configured to meet the minimum requirements of their test.

By any consideration, Oracle is expensive. It may be worth it for certain applications, but it _is_ expensive.

And, it is so much more expensive, and capable as a server, than a "little desktop and multiuser database called Access" that comparing the two does not just verge on the ridiculous, it _IS_ ridiculous.

"damorgan" <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3C85601E.4ACFD180_at_exesolutions.com...
> Pardon me, but I really object when people make blanket statements such as
"I do
> know that Oracle is extremely expensive." It is not.
>
> Unless you think you can purchase a new Rolls Royce for the price of 87
Chevy.

> The price is commensurate with the security, scalability, performance,
> portability, and stability. You get what you pay for. If all you need is
3x5
> cards don't buy a computer. If all you need is Access don't buy Oracle.
>
> And there is a lot more to the cost of an RDBMS system than the cost of
the
> software licensing agreement.
>
> Daniel Morgan
>

> Ryan Gaffuri wrote:
>
> > If your even asking this question and you do not know anything.... use
the
> > cheaper and easier one to use. I dont know the pricing scheme, but I do
know
> > that Oracle is extremely expensive. Its also more difficult to learn and
get
> > proficient at than Access or SQL Server. Plus Oracle professionals are
alot
> > more expensive to hire.
> >
> > I guess Im being a blasphemer here since Im an Oracle developer, but if
your
> > running a business your really should not spend the money unless you
> > absolutely have to.
> >
> > BTW, you can get the Oracle software for free at technet.oracle.com
Download