Re: What database shall I use???

From: Brett J. Valjalo <brett.valjalo_at_asml.com>
Date: 5 Mar 2002 14:03:24 -0800

"Glen A Stromquist" <gstromquist_at_nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message news:<AY7h8.78895$Ym3.13140213_at_news0.telusplanet.net>...
> My 2 bits worth -

<snip>
> although Access still
> can be used for a "front-end" for a SQL Server or Oracle database, which
> IMHO is far to "buggy" for this purpose and there are better alternatives.

Can you describe some of the (apparently many) bugs encountered when using Access as a Front-End to a SQL Server database? What is/are the alternative(s) you are proposing and why?

<snip>
> I have built a few simple applications in Access, quite small database wise
> and there was enough bugs to keep me busy for quite awhile when they were
> initially deployed.

What sort of bugs did your simple Access Applications have? Or, did you, perhaps mean to say that the deployment learning curve was steeper than you expected?

<snip>
> If you want rock solid security and data integrity go with a true RDBMS,
> such as SQL Server or Oracle, the latter being my preference ( I
> administrate both of them)

By what measure is Access not a "True" RDBMS, I'm curious?

TIA
Brett