Installing 9i on Linux

From: Noel Whelan <nwhelan_at_wi.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 12:54:32 GMT

Okay, I had issues with this; & I've got it installed now. I'd originally looked online for instructions, & I got a lot of them; of course, *none* of them got me over that linking issue (& I followed them to the letter). If, on the off-chance, others have got this issue, too (& not getting over it on their own or following the other instructions out there); I'm leaving this little overview on here:

I'm only including instructions on overcoming the linking issue itself: not other things one ought to be getting from the Installation Guide. I only got it to install with these versions of the following (look them up to verify):

	glibc-2.2.4-19.3
	egcs -v: gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2)
	binutils-2.10.91.0.4-1

I've got no idea if this is important or not, or if only one of them is, or...I'm only listing them in in order to not be incomplete. Log in as oracle, & input the following:

	export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5
	/usr/i386-glibc21-linux/bin/i386-glibc21-linux-env.sh

&, now, open the installer. I got the linking error immediately (not later on, as often indicated by others) on 'ins_net_client.mk'. Once this occurs...open a new terminal, login as oracle, &:

	cd $ORACLE_HOME/lib
	touch ldflags
	cd ../bin
	./genclntsh
	cd ../network/lib
	make -f ins_net_client.mk mkldflags
	make -f ins_net_client.mk ntcontab.o
 	make -f ins_net_client.mk install; relink all

On the file genclntsh: it ought to be okay on its own (i.e., leave '-z defs', etc. in there) if the versions of glibc, binutils, etc. indicated have been installed. Go back into the installer & ignore the following linking errors...it's okay; they've been linked now. It installed for me. ;) I'm obviously only offering this as one of the infinite options out there; but I'd have been glad for these instructions at the time I had this issue. One way or the other, good luck.

Noel Whelan Received on Mon Mar 04 2002 - 06:54:32 CST