Re: Building Oracle 8i database with Oracle 9i

From: Ron van Zijl <zijlr_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 3 Mar 2002 13:01:43 -0800

When you create a DB instance in 9i I think you create a 9i instance that might be backwards compatabile to 8i. You might receive conflicts at some point in time as there is functionality in 9i that is different from 8i. As you probably have read Oracle has added tons of changed to 9i.

You can allways use a OTN download from 9i and test it. Oracle allows this as long as you do not go into production with the software. Once in production you have to pay (off course).

My advice would be to just use 8i and play it safe. Ask if the customer is planning on going to 9i anyway in the future. Upgrading is allways easier than downgrading :)

Ron