Re: Oracle - Paradox Comparison/Questions

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 18:37:38 +0000 (UTC)

"Benjamin Stewart" <bens_at_harrythehirer.com.au> wrote in message news:a5a4o6$2qil$1_at_otis.netspace.net.au...
> Greetings,
> I work for a company and up to now we have done lots of in house
development
> of our main sales application. We have now decided to start look elsewhere
> for a product off the shelf that we can customise.
<snip>
*Technical comments*

Paradox is an excellent client server solution for workgroup environments. It works well in my experience in the local branch office type environment. It doesn't scale well across dispersed locations with large user populations.

Oracle on the other hand does scale well and is a very serious solution indeed. If you don't know what you are doing with it however it *will not may* bite you and bite you badly. This especially applies if your in house experience is all ms sql.

*business comments*

anytime i see off the shelf product that we can customise i shudder. this is one of the very quickest ways to IT disaster. either buy an of the shelf package and accept its limitations *or* spec and develop your own. also try not to buy cross-platform,cross industry sector, cross organisation size solutions. In IT these are regarded for some reason as good. in almost all other areas of life 'lowest common denominator' is something to be wary of. IT doesn't have it right.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA