Re: PL/SQL vs Java vs C++?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 18:30:21 +0000 (UTC)

I'd do it in PL/SQL almost certainly. however if granting you the sql*plus tool was a problem I forsee some difficulty in persuading IT to grant you an Oracle schema and create procedure rights. I guess the queston in the end is how does your organisation do this sort of development and then follow those channels.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
"Wayne McDermott" <elhombre_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message

> I have developed an inventory control application in MS Access & VBA that
> has been instrumental in saving my company $6 million so far, with at
least
> another 4 to 5 million over the next 18 months. We are a processing plant
> and part of a global group of mining companies. My tool has sparked
interest
> across the group and I am about to release an evaluation copy to other
> sites. Our corporation is in the process of aggressively standardising on
> SAP (and I extract the data from our SAP system)with Oracle of various
> flavours being the underlying DB as far as I can tell.
>
> Access is a superb prototyping tool and an excellent standalone platform,
> however I am considering something rather more professional. For example,
> generate the statistical data for 23,000 items with 50 months consumption
in
> VBA takes about 45 minutes, tests indicate the same can be done in C++ in
> under a minute and the last time I used PL/SQL to calculate Single
> Exponentially Smooothed Forecasts for the same data set it was done in a
> matter of seconds.
>
> I have a little Oracle knowledge and have Oracle Enterprise Edition
Release