Re: Veritas Netbackup Agent

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 11:34:17 +0100

"Vsevolod Afanassiev" <vafanassiev_at_aapt.com.au> wrote in message news:4f7d504c.0203020207.1dd00e19_at_posting.google.com...
> Matt,
> It depends on how big is your database, and what kind of
> backup-related hardware you have:
> 1. Small database can be simply backed up to disk,
> and backup files can be included in conventional filesystem backup.
> No need to use RMAN or Veritas NetBackup for Oracle.
> 2. Howeber, if your database is big (let's say, 1 TB)
> and you have tape library with 5 tape drives, then RMAN/Veritas
> is the way to go!
> 3. They have more Oracle-related products: Database Edition and
> Advanced BLI agent. Again, mostly useful for very big databases
> (or very critical). These product require Veritas File System.
>
> Please write to me if you want to know more.
>
> Regards,
> Sev
>
> Sydney, Australia
>
> vafanassiev_at_aapt.com.au

I beg to disagree with 1
Conventional filesystem backup doesn't run a hot backup for you. Many sites my firm will be administrating shortly run a conventional filesystem backup without shutting down the database, and without putting it in hot backup.
You can't build your own scripts for the price you buy a product with an Oracle Agent for. You need a backup product anyway,. as NTBackup is worthless for administrative purposes (no tape administration!)

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA