Re: Bad day, or really not possible?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 17:28:00 +0100

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 18:36:57 +0300, "Vladimir M. Zakharychev" <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com> wrote:

>As a workaround you can execute this statement using dynamic SQL since it
>will go directly to the SQL engine which supports the CASE - something like
>this will do:
>
>execute immediate 'insert into sometable (somecolumn)
>select case when z < :b1 then xvalue else yvalue end
>from someothertable' using 1000;

Please be informed that this 'workaround' will cause hard-parsing and likely produce
a) a cpu-bound server
b) non-scalable code

Please do not try to recommend such 'workarounds' to make lousy code yet more lousy.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Thu Feb 28 2002 - 10:28:00 CST