Re: Learning Personal Oracle8i

From: RKG <rkg100_at_erols.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:57:47 -0400

So Im assuming your already a programmer? Well PL/SQL is just a relational language. If you have done one you can do another. So it should not be hard for you.

There is a play schema set up for you. Log into Scott/Tiger. The DBA Handbook is not good for learning.

This is what I recommend. Go to http://otn.oracle.com/docs/content.html I think you have to join first but its free. All the documentation is free. This is what is good to read. Go to 9i Database and read the 9i Concepts. Might be a little difficult to understand since it jumps around alot. Good general idea of what is going on. You dont need to memorize it, just skim and get the basics.

So you want to learn the database side? Start witha SQL or PL/SQL workbook. Look for one that has problems. Cheapest place to get books is www.bookpool.com or bestbookbuys.com

Work from there. Dont worry about the DBA stuff at first. You really cant get a job in Oracle as a DBA unless you have 2 years as a developer anyway. BTW, this is a VERY bad time to break into Oracle. The market is almost non-existent for people without experience.

Dont bother trying to access the database with perl or VB. Just focus on the PL/SQL and SQL for now. Its what most junior developers do. After you do that stuff download the internet application developer suite from technet(all their software can be downloaded for free) or buy it for about $40. Just use the Oracle Forms tool. Ignore the others. This is a GUI tool and is not difficult to get the basics if you already know PL/SQL. Most forms books are WAY too thick. Not good for learning. So look for a thin one that just focuses on the basics.

"LowJay" <lowjay_at_aol.com> wrote in message news:20020226025151.14363.00000581_at_mb-cf.aol.com...
> I am recently laid off and I thought I would at least learn the concepts
behind
> Oracle8i while I had the time. I know SQL and used it often in my last
job.
> I downloaded Personal Oracle and installed it and then I bought Oracle8i
DBA