problems with 817 dbassist on 7.3, directory permissions

From: Glen A. Stromquist <gstromquist_at_nospamyahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 20:04:14 GMT

When I try to run dbassist, I get an error window claiming that it can't write files to the specified directories, in my case: /opt/oracle/admin/mydb/pfile

                                                        /udump etc..
                  /opt/oracle/oradata/mydb

The oracle user has full permissions on these dir's, just to be sure I ran a chmod 777 on all directories that the database is writing to, but still get the error. The directories are owned by oracle with dba the primary group, and dbassist is being run by the oracle user.

If I try and generate scripts rather than actually create the database, (my preference) it churns away for about 1/2 hour and uses every last bit of memory to the point it sometimes restarts X. Then after all that there is no shell scripts created!

 I have the swap drive at 769 M for 384 M ram as per Oracles recommendation. I also ran the orarun81.rpm from SuSE which is supposed to set up the shared memory, semaphores etc.. to what Oracle needs.

I set up all the permissions on dir's and files as per Oracles install doc, and I can start up server manager and sql plus now. I guess I can write a script from scratch to create the database and dictionary, but I would really like to get dbassist working so I can use it for future database scripts, and at this point its more to find out why it's doing what its doing!

Anyone else run into problems like this?

thanks Received on Tue Feb 26 2002 - 14:04:14 CST