Re: Oracle performance C OCI vs. JDBC thin?

From: Ruud de Koter <ruud_dekoter_at_hp.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 17:09:25 +0100

Hi Pase,

Pasi Kovanen wrote:

> > As a rule I try to test in a setup that is as close as possible to the
> actual
> > application environment to be developed. This will often mean testing on
> larger
> > and more complicated statements. I have recently done that for the
> application
> > we develop and have found the OCI driver roughly 10 % faster than the Thin
> > driver. This was done from a Windows 2000 client connecting to an Oracle
> 8.1.7
> > database running on HP-UV 11.0.
>
> We did some testing using prepared SELECT statements, and the thin driver
> performed almost 40% faster! Are there any settings in the OCI that could
> affect
> performance?

That 's interesting. I have not tested on prepared statements, so there might simply be a big difference between the drivers, when it comes to prepared statements... I am under the impression you 'd hope to get some tips, but I could hardly give you any. The only important thing I have found this far is that the fetch size is rather important. Working with the OCI driver, under circumstances the query execution time is reduced by over 60 percent!

Most likely you 'll need to experiment with this in your own environment, but that is very worthwhile. By the way, I have not investigated the effect when working with the Thin driver.

Regards,

Ruud.

Ruud de Koter                    HP OpenView Software Business Unit
Senior Software Engineer         IT Service Management Operation
Telephone: +31 (20) 514 15 89    Van Diemenstraat 200
Telefax  : +31 (20) 514 15 90    PO Box 831
Telnet   : 547 - 1589            1000 AV  Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Email : ruud_dekoter_at_hp.com
internet: http://www.openview.hp.com/itsm
          http://www.openview.hp.com/assetview
intranet: http://ovweb.bbn.hp.com/itservicemanager