Re: Newbie question: DBA job

From: John Claxton <claxton_at_networkessentials.com>
Date: 23 Feb 2002 11:40:01 -0800

Al,

     As the previous post points our, real-world experience is a big plus.

     You got good basic skills to build on. If you're moving into a production shop that is already established, there should be backup/restore scripts and documentation on hand. Should be ... there may be a reason why the dba position is open ...

     Filling in the missing parts a pieces will help get you ready for a full time dba role. You may consider trying to find a position where they need some development help (tuning, mentoring, etc), and a junior leve dba. You're probably ready for that right now. If I were in a hiring role, I would consider you a candidate from what is listed in this email.

     Another path you may consider is: give you skills away! Find some charitable organization that could use a little off-hours help. Give and get.

     Finally, you may consider certification as a means of showing that you know what Oracle is all about. Toward that end you may want to visit our web site. We have over 1,000 free questions: http://www.networkessentials.com/certified/ocp jc