Re: Minimum hardware requirements for Oracle 9i

From: Keith Boulton <kboulton_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 09:29:37 -0000

I tried it on a 256M linux machine and it kept hanging even though there was plenty of swap space. Of course, it could have been some other problem, but adding more memory seemed to fix it.

My point was more about an installer (which after all just copies files around) that requires as much memory as a database server that can support 10s/100s of users!

damorgan <dan.morgan_at_ci.seattle.wa.us> wrote in message news:3C76C5D4.86ADD5C3_at_ci.seattle.wa.us...
> I have successfully installed 9i on a machine with 64MB RAM under NT4SP5
so that
> is not true in all cases. But it certainly is slow with all of the
swapping that
> takes place.
>
> Daniel Morgan
>

> Keith Boulton wrote:
>
> > The installer for 9i requires 512M ie more than the database which is
> > amusing.
> >
> > damorgan <dan.morgan_at_ci.seattle.wa.us> wrote in message
> > > I could ask why. I just purchased two UNIX mchines this week. Both of
> > which
> > > could easily handle 40 concurrent users. And neither one cost more
than
> > $1000
> > > (US). So why Win2000 with XP?
> > >
> > > Anyway ... for 40 users you could probably get by with 512MB RAM but
I'd
> > go
> > > with a gig given the O/S. For one user 256MB RAM.
> > >
> > > Daniel Morgan

> > or
> > Test-Environment
User).