Get shared memory realm does not exist when connecting remotely

From: Joe Condle <condjp_at_chp.edu>
Date: 22 Feb 2002 07:01:11 -0800

I have just installed oracle 8.1.7 on a Sun Ultra10 running Solaris 8.  All went well. I created by database and can connect to it with sqlplus. The databse is up and running. All the oracle process our present and so is the listener. My problem starts when I try to connect throught sqlnet.
One post said to look at shared memory with the ipcs commad

when I do the following
sqlplus username/password_at_chp
I GET
ERROR
ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
ORA-27101: shared memory relam does not exist SVR4 Error: 2: No such file or directory

When I run ipcs to look at shared memory I get the following: Message Queues:
Shared Memory:
m 0 0x5000087c --rw-r--r-- root root m 201 0xa0fe0a2c --rw-r----- oracle oinstall Semaphores
s 720896 0xb60d98d0 --ra-r----- oracle oinstall I am not sure what the above means.

The posts I have read talk about the ORACLE_SID and/or ORACLE_HOME not being set right. I have checked that but that does not seem to be the problem.
Any thoughts.

Joe
Children's Hospital of Pgh Received on Fri Feb 22 2002 - 09:01:11 CST