Re: Creating new database.

From: Richard Nield <richard.nield_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 21:46:40 -0000

Daniel....thanks for that! I must admit I had not thought of the task in that way....everything seems to be coming together at the end of the FY, I just wanted to get started with the new Db....but you're right, the db has not changed much, apart from a few new tables, since it was created.

this may sound like an odd question but, would you agree that having tables with a single field PK is more efficient than using more than one field as pk? For example - the pk of our stock table is the unique combination of manufacture code, county code and stock id code. Which I have always though of as inefficient, especially as every related table holds the same pk. When I was involved with a similar project a few years ago, in ingress., the stock number only appear in one table,, all the other related table just reference the id of the item.

thanks

 Richard