Re: How to DISSALOW ODBC usage

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 16:59:21 +0100

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 09:29:36 +0100, Andreas Wizemann <AWizemann_at_fvvag.de> wrote:

>Hi,
>how can i prevent a user from doing a odbc connect against my database
>?
>All users have (some) read/write permissions granted to their userid
>and access to the data is checked by a forms application to prevent
>from missusage. But if the user "knows" about ODBC, he can access the
>database directly without the forms appl.
>
>Any hints ?
>
>Regards
>Andreas Wizemann

One solution would obviously be setting up a role with select privileges only. This role is enabled by default, the read/write role is not enabled by default and should be enabled by the forms application. Doing so, at least the user won't be able to do harm (other than turning your server into a CPU bound system)

Other solutions are highly dependent of Oracle version, which you of course, as many others, fail to mention. In Oracle 8i you could create an after logon trigger and check the user connecting using the sys_context function

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Wed Feb 20 2002 - 09:59:21 CST