Re: Sequences?

From: damorgan <dan.morgan_at_ci.seattle.wa.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 16:33:44 GMT

That you haven't needed the capabilities provided by Oracle's sequences is fine. Some people, many people perhaps, don't. But some of us do. And for us ... autonumbering would be useless. So are you saying you'd rather have something that limits you to only one possible usage ... or would you rather have something robust, flexible, and scalable?

But I must state that I find the amount of whining over this to be amazing. Is creating and using a SEQUENCE more difficult than creating an autonumbered column? Lets see:

SQL> CREATE SEQUENCE s;

The total characters typed was 18 including spaces and the semicolon. that created the sequence. I'm a bit sore but I'll continue.

Now I'll add the sequence number to the insert statement for the table:

s.NEXTVAL,

Well that took a total of 10 keystrokes including the comma at the end. Probably 11 if you hit the space bar before continuing with the rest of the insert statement.

A total of 29 keystrokes.

Damn I guess you are correct ... my fingers are hurting and I'm developing some kind of syndrome that is going to require extensive use of pain medication, antiinflammatory steroids, and physical therapy.

Daniel Morgan