Re: passing arrays to a Oracle Stored Procedure

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 18 Feb 2002 07:50:12 -0800

"Tim Savage" <tim.savage_at_verizon.net> wrote in message news:<AzVb8.2192$xG4.457043_at_paloalto-snr1.gtei.net>...
> I am writing a application in ASP using oracle as the DB. I was to send the
> info from the invoice to the DB via an array because there is a lot of data.
> How would I go about sending the code to the oracle DB? Is it possible to
> send an array to an oracle stored proc?
>
> Thank you
> Tim Savage

Tim, the answer is yes. In the pl/sql procedure you code the parameter to expect a pl/sql table, which is really equilivent to a single dimension array. You should be able to find examples of defining and using a pl/sql table in the pl/sql manual. I am not sure what you do on the VB end, but I believe you just code an array.

The developer I know did this here had a VB book with an example that said he had to create on plsql table for each column being passed as VB could not handle Oracle composite datatypes; however, I have heard that the newer versions of VB can pass composite so it should be possilbe to pass an array of records, but you will probably need to find a good VB book with an example.

Unless another poster has the time to post you an example you might want to try visiting the nearest book superstore (Barnes and Noble, Borders) and look over their VB books. I have found an outside library to be very valuable for examples like this.