vb app and Access 2000 freezing when connected to Oracle 8.1.7 db

From: Eric Bowman <ebowman_at_systec.com>
Date: 17 Feb 2002 04:43:27 -0800

Using a Sony Vaio laptop with Windows 2000 sp2, PIII 700 and 512mb ram. Apps such as Access 2000 and vb6 will freeze after a random amount of time after opening a connection to an Oracle 8.1.7 database. I have tried this using 2 different Oracle servers and had the same problem. Other Win 2k workstations work fine doing same operations connected to same server. I tried replacing the msorcl32.dll and msdaora.dll with the versions from the working machine. This seemed to make some improvement but did not solve the problem.

One way I can reproduce the problem consistently is open a linked odbc table in access with several thousand records, select all the records and press CTRL-C to copy them to clipboard. It will freeze at a different point in the copy each time but if over 10000 records it will always freeze. On the other workstations, I can copy 60000 records like this repeatedly without any problem. This is not the task I need to accomplish but it is the best way I can consistently re-produce the problem. The real goal is to get a particular vb app working on the laptop; it currently freezes after logging in to Oracle (randomly within 5-40 minutes of login). This app also works fine on the other workstations so I think it is the same problem. Any suggestions on how to fix this or what else to try would be appreciated.

Eric Bowman
ebowman_at_systec.com Received on Sun Feb 17 2002 - 06:43:27 CST