NT Directory Replication for Archive Redo logs???

From: Greg Rakaska <grakaska_at_unitedwater.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 17:35:30 GMT

I am considering using NT's Directory Replication service for duplicating archive redo logs on another machine. (Oracle 7.3 & 8.0)

Has anyone ever done this? I would appreciate info/advice you may have to offer.

I am particularily interested if the default replication path was used, or if the actual archive directory was used rather than the default REPL$ share on c:\winnt\system32\repl\export.

I have read the MS KB article on Replication (Q101602), and it recommends using the default path because "complex permissions are used to support replication", however, it does not define these complex permissions.

I have setup a test environment using the regular Oracle archive log directory as the REPL$ share, and it seems to be working OK, but before I implement it on a production server, I would like to verify that it has been used successfully on a non-default path.

I have been using the scheduler and xcopy with the /d switch to copy archive logs to the other server, but I have concerns that an open file might get copied. I haven't found a way to insure that this does not occur, so directory replication seems like a good alternative.

I am open to suggestions for any other method anyone may suggest to copy the logs to another server.

TIA Received on Thu Feb 14 2002 - 11:35:30 CST