Re: high water mark ??

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 06:54:57 GMT

The high water mark is the last extent that has been allocated for a database object such as a table. For example if I create a table and add 1,000,000 rows to it and then delete 999,000 rows from the table the high water mark is the last extent that the table took up when I had 1,000,000 rows in it. The upshot is that if you have a query that does a full table scan it will scan up to the high water mark and so a 1,000 row scan in our example becomes quite expensive because it is scanning the area that Oracle had allocated for the 1,000,000 rows. No there is no low water mark because the mark is covered over by the high water mark :-). Jim