Career Change

From: Tom Watson <tjwatson_at_snip.net.nospam>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 21:42:56 -0500

I'm looking to make a change of careers.

I'm currently a cabinetmaker and prior to that I was a carpenter and construction superintendent.

I'm fifty-one years old now and various body parts are not working according to design specs anymore. (the lifting of 110 lb. sheet goods onto the tablesaw has become onerous) Besides that, I've done what I can do in this line of work and would like to go in another direction.

A few years ago, in appreciation of the facts of my declining physical capabilities, I began studying VB. I began in VB4 and have proceeded through VB5 to VB6.

I haven't done any professional work in this area, just made some programs that would help me along in my business, mostly cutting list applications that leverage Excel and use VB to make a nice front end.

I've explored Access and some SQL stuff, in making simple databases that help me with pricing, inventory and customer contacts.

Now I've come to the decision point and have set my sails to enter into the real world of IT employment (shudder).

In doing a local (Philadelphia area) search for available jobs, it has become apparent that Oracle skills are in high demand. Oracle seems to be the most represented skill-set item in the listings.

My question to the group is that of the most efficient path to follow, in terms of study and training, with an eye towards entering the job force as quickly and as profitably as possible.

I see that there are Data Base Operators, Data Base Administrators and Oracle Developers. Unless I have misjudged, the DBO position is the one that is closest to an entry level undertaking.

If this is the case, how should I proceed, in terms of study and training, to prepare myself for such a position? What time frame of study is involved? Is this the best first step on a path of continuing learning and involvement in this craft?

I've enjoyed my study of VB but have no real world experience under my belt that would help me judge my skill level in a professional environment. I feel comfortable in dealing with computers, having done so as an amateur from my first CP/M Televideo machine to the present.

I do worry about being a 'new old guy' in a realm that I perceive to be populated by 'old young guys', in terms of their professional experience. I also concern myself with the differences in 'culture' between my past work environment and the IT world.

It would be a great help to me to have some opinions from those of you who are experienced in this area.

If I have made foolish statements and assumptions in the above, please, kindly write that off to someone who is 'looking through a glass, darkly' and seeks a clearer vision.

Thank you.

Regards,

Tom.

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker